For group bookings please contact
017687 77246 or
York Outdoor Group, Jan 2018.
Derwentwater Independent Hostel is an ideal location for reading weeks, fieldwork, and group study. We have a large room that can be used for lectures, debates, and meetings, and several smaller rooms for independent study, small group discussions, and equipment storage. Our reasonably-priced meals and large self-catering kitchen allow for flexible catering arrangements, and the town of Keswick (2 miles from the hostel) has a supermarket, lots of cafes and restaurants, and one nightclub. Click here for a poster about university group residentials.
We have extensive local knowledge of places to visit, events, resources (books and archives), and local experts, so please get in touch if you would like any advice or ideas. Below is a non-exhaustive set of information sheets for some of the degree subjects and research topics that can be studied in the Borrowdale area.
These are some of the groups who have visited the hostel. Many come year after year.
- University of Birmingham Wilderness Medicine Society
- University of Sheffield English Language Teaching Centre
- University of Seattle English Literature Tour
- University of Derby Film Studies Trip: for the Keswick Film Festival in February
- University of Nottingham Veterinary Students
- University of Leeds: staff trip
- University of Warwick Mountaineering Society
Subject information sheets
We are gradually adding more subjects and topics. Let us know if you want help with a particular subject.
Group trips on the Keswick Launch
Birmingham University Wilderness Medicine Students
Working together on Derwent Water
Self catering kitchen
Barrow Cascade: the waterfall in our grounds
Classrooms in the forest
Raft building (and floating!)
Be a Viking for a day!